Friday, August 17, 2012

Stretching

Let me just say, up front, I have never really like stretching before.  It always seems like I just want to get on to the next task when I finish a workout, and stretching before workouts, like in gym class?  Well that never felt very good either!  So the truth is, I don't like doing it.  So I went on a mini-mission to find evidence to say I don't have to do it!  Haha!  I love my perfect plans, they always go exactly like I want them to!  So I jumped on the internet, texted a couple buddies, and looked for the answer I wanted to hear, which is that it doesn't really matter.  Guess what I discovered.... that stretching, is incredibly complex and varied, there are many many different types and theories surrounding stretching, how to do it, when to do it, and why.  So here, is the important stuff, the most common ways, and the reasoning behind it.  So, prepare, yourselves, for today's riveting, and totally geeky breakdown of stretching!!

First off, at it's core, stretching improves flexibility.  There are about a zillion reason why you want to be more flexible, to a point.  Some would say you can become too flexible, I don't think this is a very common problem though, and certainly not a problem I have.  I can't even touch my own toes without bending my knee!  Not since I was 10 anyway! (oh the good ole' days)  So you can't really stretch too much.  I was more hoping to find out that you don't have to stretch at all!  Who cares about flexibility after all right!?  Don't do nuthin' good for the normal Joe, right?  Wrong.  Being more flexible helps prevent injury, for starters.  Also muscle growth is related to tearing fibers and then fixing them, and stretching helps to keep these fibers lengthened and counteracts tightness that can lead to injury type muscle tears, serious sprains, strains, and pinched nerves and the like!  I am not sure if you've ever had one of these problems, but I have once or twice, and they suck and should be avoided, unless you like pain.  It also improves performance, because if you have a higher total range of motion, then you also have a larger range of motion for the same power output.  Which is to say, your total range of motion for which you have max power, is larger.  I heard a story from a superstar runner friend of mine (Vanessa!), that if you took identical twins and trained them for an 800.  All other things being equal, the one that stretched regularly would bat the one that did not, because each stride would cover more ground while producing the same force.  Sounded great to me!  I want large ground covering strides that produce force and stuff too!!!  There are also many formes of stretching, good ones like proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation, or PNF for short, and really really bad ones, like ballistic stretching.  I know, it doesn't even SOUND like a good idea does it...

The main point here is this.  Stretch.  Do it.  Do it after a workout, not before.  Always stretch warm muscles not cold.  Old school (like when we were kids... ugh...) thinking is to stretch before, but now they say that is bad, we should always stretch warm muscles.  If your going for a large workout, warm up first, then stretch, then do the workout, then stretch again.  Static stretching is good, PNF if you have a buddy.  check out the links and happy stretching.  Honestly though, after a little bit, you'll start to love it.  I know once i got over the complaining and griping, it is really starting to become a part of the workout that I actually enjoy.  See how my perfect plans turn out?  haha!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! We love them!!