Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Monroe YMCA allstars

When you first make the decision to do an IronMan.  One of the first things you will realize soon thereafter, is that you need help!  Not just mental help for wanting to do an IronMan, but also help with training, equipment, scheduling, nutrition, and where to go when it's raining (other than straight to your bike).  So for me, I knew I needed a gym membership, and I knew I needed a place with a pool, and those things led me to the YMCA.  On top of that, I had the best idea ever!  I would do the IronMan and the YMCA would give me a free membership, in return they would write or publish a story about me and that would drum up new members for them!  Now, just let me say, this really is a terrific idea, and there are a few places around Rochester who are leveraging this exact scenario in order to get the word out about their business.  However, the YMCA turned out to be a little larger of a vision than just another gym in the area.
One of the first things you have the option to do when you head to your local Y is fill out a financial aid form. So not even 5 minutes after you walk in the door, they have already separated themselves from other gyms.  How is this possible?  Well, simple, they Y is not just a gym.

The Y was founded over 160 years ago, and is in-fact, a not-for-profit organization which aims to build a stronger community.  It has three major objectives or visions: Youth Development, Health Living, and Social Responsibility.  Now stop right there and let that sink in for a sec...  Exactly how many organizations have you heard of in the last ten years who has as part of their mission statement, teaching people Social Responsibility??  Tell me, do you think our country could do with a little more social responsibility?  I thought so.  Whether your talking about how to manage your finances to become debt free and financially independent, to responsible families and children AND adults, this is a great idea!  Not to mention youth development, which is a phenomenal undertaking in-and-of itself.  Let's face it, there are lots of kids out there who are lacking the influence of responsible adults in their lives to help them become responsible adults!  High-Five Y!  What about healthy living?  Well what about it!  They Y has more fitness programs and establishments than any other gym in Rochester!  From the various YMCA locations to the camps scattered all over the area (north point is one of my favorites, nice little splash park!) they do a far better job of helping people live healthy than most gyms who claim to do the same thing.  I mean seriously, they Y is here to give everyone an opportunity to learn, grow and win.  Every single day, they are working side-by-side with people in our community to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income, background, etc, has access to the Y programs that make people healthy, confident and plugged into each other!

I don't care if your talking about joining, volunteering, or donating to the Y, at this place your support has a super meaningful and lasting impact right in your own backyard.  Their missions is to achieve lasting personal and social change brought about by working together!  This is a mission I didn't know very much about before I joined and am glad I found out about it.

From the moment I walked in to meet with the YMCA Rochester's major super-stars at the Monroe YMCA, I knew I had stumbled into something bigger.  I am lucky to have met and get to work with Vanessa and Melinda from the Y.  Donna, my swim coach, Vanessa my running coach and second biggest supporter (second to my amazing wife), and Melinda the kayak queen: I have encountered nothing but blessings from their business and community support.  These guys really are a shining example of what the YMCA stands for and how awesome people can help you achieve great things.  I have literally everything I need to complete my training for the IronMan without looking any farther.  They have the equipment, the knowledge, and the connections to make you successful in whatever your fitness goals are.  And fitness is just the beginning of the vision!

If your not already a member, there's your first great idea!  Go join the Y and start getting into amazing super-good shape.  While your at it, you can volunteer or donate to a fantastic cause that will only help our future be more awesome!  Here are some links to help you get started.

Use this link to donate to the Y, make sure you click the Monroe Branch because they are the ones helping me out with all the ironman stuff, and because they are awesome!






1 comment:

  1. Mega gold star for the Monroe YMCA team, you guys are nothing short of legendary!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! We love them!!