Monday, July 23, 2012

Pride goeth before the hiss


I just biked 40 miles for the first time, which is a fairly AWESOME feeling; if you'd asked me two months ago I wouldn't have been able to bike 4! I also just got my first FLAT TIRE!! And that is not a nice feeling at all. Let me tell you something, I may have been lucky that I've made it this far without a flat but they are a total bummer! I don't know anything about changing a flat bike tire. How could this happen?!? Let's replay the events of the flat shall we?

I hit this tiny little insignificant baby of a rock, and instantly heard the most evil hissing sound! It sounded like half a dozen angry Canadian geese coming to kill me because I had chased down and picked up one of their children (don't ask how I know what this sounds like). My first thought was snake, then goose, then I am going to die, then flat tire, in that order. I pulled my bike over and inspected the damage, which to my eyes, there was none. Everything looked a-OK to me! But still, despite my protests to the universe that this wasn't fair and everything looked OK, the tire was still flat. So I tucked my tail between my legs, swallowed my pride, and called for a ride. ugh... All of this as it turned out, happened after I had ridden 39.96 miles. There is absolutely zero chance that I am going to end this ride at 39.96 miles... no way, no how, nevah!!! So I took off my fancy bike shoes (only to be used for biking and really hard to walk in) threw my busted bike over my shoulder and walked. That's right, I carried the bike. The Irony is NOT lost on me, thank you very much! Now before you throw up a red flag and comment that technically, I did not ride 40 miles, I want you to know that walking with your bike is allowed in the IronMan, so I choose to believe that it counts if I carry my bike!

Just try to imagine me walking down the road, in my socks no less, carrying a bike on my back which LOOKS perfectly functional. I can only imagine what people must have been thinking. Worse yet is a couple people actually asked if I were ok and needed help. High-five for the demonstration of cumulative humanity looking out for our fellow man and all that, but totally humiliating...

So I walked. While my super supportive wife tucked our twin daughters into the mini-van to come get me. I actually walked about a quarter of a mile before my wife found me, well over the required 0.04. The lesson here is you better be prepared, or else you might find yourself in a supremely awkward and ironic position on the side of the road in your socks while people laugh at you from the anonymity of their cars.

General info on how to change a flat tire on a bike:

Tricks of the trade:


3 comments:

  1. Total Stud move~
    Way to go champ, and 3 cheerss for your wife as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. time to get a pump & flat repair kit & spare tube!! behind every successful man there is a .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is a rock star, there's no doubt about it!
    Hear that babe? you rule!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! We love them!!