Thursday, July 12, 2012

Introduction



Blog post number one.


First off, like most things, I am totally new to blogging and writing in general, so do be patient with me. Second of all, I want you all to know that the most important thing in life is setting a direction; having a mission. Just deciding to do something is the hardest part, and the second hardest part is sticking to it even when it gets difficult. So let me begin by telling you a little bit about myself and where my head was at when I started this whole crazy thing.


Before starting my IronMan training, I was not a runner, a biker, or a swimmer. I had never done any of these things before, save a little sprinting in track and field when I was a teenager. In fact, the only athletic competition I had ever done was the 100m dash and the high jump in high school, and I was seriously terrible at both! The biggest reason I decided to do an IronMan in the first place, was because I liked the title. As you get to know me, and read more of these blogs, you'll realize that I am first and foremost, not at all like everybody else - seriously. When God made me he threw out the mold for different reasons than usual, trust me. So, deciding to do an IM without knowing the first thing about the competition just because I like the title fits pretty well with my style. The second thing is that I am super stubborn, just ask my wife. She has a host of stories of me just not giving up even when all reason and logic indicates that continuing is insanity. Honestly though, what a cool title: IronMan. Take a second and say it out loud... Listen to it. Seriously, I think it's one of the coolest things you can be called in life. Just ask Stan Lee; he will tell you. As a bonus, having my wife introduce me as an IronMan is just the greatest concept my feeble little mind can imagine. Is there a better definition of STUD? I don't think so. So I picked a date six months out and started researching what it would take to do an IM. I will let you know what I found tomorrow.


Also, just to let you know, I have about as much free time as the average guy. I have a full time job as an engineer at Elo Touch Solutions. I own my own business part time. I am married, and I have perfect identical twin daughters who are the BEST thing EVER!!! So naturally, you see I have all the time in the world to train.


Furthermore, I had no equipment or knowledge of nutrition or endurance events or anything. I hadn't even really heard of triathlons except a few times in passing over the course of my life and definitely didn't understand them. My version of a triathlon was a 15 mile drive, followed by sitting for 8 hours, followed by 2 hours of TV. What a workout!!


So I went to town. Six months is enough time to do just about anything, right?


---

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! We love them!!